Mill District (Cowls Lumber Yard Study)
- This study explored options for mixed-use residential and commercial infill at the former Cowls Lumber Yard in North Amherst Village Center.
- The study reviewed what current and proposed zoning ordinances would allow as a means to present options at Town Meeting.
- The design is a mix of first floor commercial buildings with residential units above as well as townhome buildings.
- Parking is distributed evenly and kept off of the main streets with the exception of a few parallel parking spaces.
- The design is meant to be pedestrian friendly and needed to incorporate both the density of a village center while also being reflective of adjacent single family homes.to the east and a commercial district to the west.
- The first mixed use residential –commercial building, The Trolley Barn is currently under construction and expected to be complete in the summer of 2014.